Tuesday, June 19, 2007

June 19th: Return from Volunteer visit

Paraguay has been very interesting and challenging while still being very entertaining and very tranquilopa. I have been living with a family for the last two weeks in a small compania called Las Piedras. My Papa and Mama are Don Miguel and Dona Catalina. She runs a carniceria and he is a vegatable farmer. They live with their 5 year old granddaughter Najali who is very cute and is at a similar point in Spanish as I am (because almost everyone starts out learning Guarani). The town is small but there is a lot going on and I am there with 6 other volunteers. There is a snack bar, copetin, where we get empanadas and beers. There is a soccer field where the semi-professional team plays on Sundays where the games are often followed by fireworks and fights between the opposing fans. I have also been invited to several lunchs, dinner, a wedding, and other festivals (last Tuesday we had off to celebrate the end of the Chaco War). During training (which we are in for the next 8 weeks) they keep us very busy with 4 hours of language class in the morning and 4 hours of technical training in the afternoon. We do though get time off and have been able to go to Asuncion and to other places. I have been to Ita, and am in Ita now actually, Itagua, Caaguazu, Guarambare, J.A. Saldivar, and Juan Manuel Frutos. And I just returned from my visit with a current Volunteer which lasted for 4 days. He worked in a town called Pastoreo which was large compared to the training site. We went to a festival for the town´s patron Saint and then the next night had a barbeque for some of the people he knew in town.


And I should have included this in my first post, but my views are mine alone and do not represent the views of the Peace Corps of the United States Government

No comments: